Thursday, February 11, 2010

Part 1: Entrepreneurship

Entrepreneurship is the act of being an entrepreneur.
Entrepreneur: a term applied to the type of personality who is willing to take upon herself or himself a new venture or enterprise and accepts full responsibility for the outcome.
(Definitions from Wikipedia)

I recently went to a small women's day event, featuring Entrepreneurship out in central ND with my two SIL & my MIL. My SIL lives in this small community and invited us. It was a great day, with good speakers & area women with their small business, they offered their products & some shared how they got started. The state of ND has what is called a 'Horizons Community' grant. It's for communities through out ND who apply through the Extension Service, get money and put on a program that will help or encourage to strengthen their communities. When I was invited, I was all for this since SIL and I talk some about plans of starting up some small business and I think there is a lot to do to become an entrepreneur. By no means will I most likely become one. I watch my aunt T do this and that's all I need.
The first presenter spoke on starting your own small business and all the extra components that go along. She gave out a lot of information along with web sources that I've looked over as it's all very interesting. Even though right now, I will not be starting my own small business, it helps me to think about the bigger picture.
For instance, I was shocked as I looked into selling my eggs and veggies at the farmers market in WF this upcoming summer. The fee is $135.00 for 4 months and I need my own liability insurance, I'm thinking 'crazy and boot that idea out the back door'. But it was an eye opener since I thought it was a bit more simpler then this. My new plan, wear a head band that says 'Fresh Eggs, $2.00' at church and that's all I'll need. What do you think? Will it pass for a good act of entrepreneurship?
The second presenter was a small business owner who started her own 'Home Organizing business' and she now supports her family & also owns a small coffee shop. It's exciting to hear about people who are successful, because I know and seen many from my small town who have started and closed since it was not a 'hit' and they would be better off doing something else.
So, I am not venturing into becoming an entrepreneur by any means on a large scale but I could say on a very small scale it is happening. By using my sewing skills & the product being 100% recycled! Yea for doing something I love, saving the environment, and making a little bit of cash on the side.
Stay tuned for the "rest of the story".

No comments: