Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The activity level is high around here ...

Let's just say, the activity level of 'getting things accomplished'
around the Waa household is about a 10 on a scale of 1-10.
For starters, the garden is now planted, we have a permanent chicken coop door for safety
measures and the flowers are all planted for the summer!
Let's mark this one on our calendar, the garden is planted and it's May 25th!! Waa-Hoo! Peppers, tomatoes, red onions, potatoes, beans & lettuce. I'd like a half a row of carrots but not sure if I'll get this. I think Jim is going to make a lot of salsa since we have 8 tomatoes & 8 pepper plants growing. But from his previous years, I think he has the thought of 'plant more so we can have enough in the end' some may die or bugs will get them, it will be interesting & peppers are no easy plant to try to grow we have decided. We also are placing straw down for weed control & Jim has gotten out a sprinkler for future watering! Another Waa-Hoo!
The evening was perfect with a bit of wind to keep away the bugs & CMW went to the grandparents (even though she was just watching a movie), it was much easier to get things done. I will add, C does not like the wind if she isn't preoccupied. I also laid down a bag or two of wood chips, trimmed up the tulips and mad note of what other landscaping projects needed to get done. What a great night for accomplishment!

After 10 months of having chickens, I finally have a sweet new permanent chicken door and let me tell you, it is very sweet. And I give a huge thanks to Jim for this because he is helping me protect our hens. We have had a skunk a little to close for comfort, some far away sightings & some near but this last one was actually in our chicken coop according to our neighbor & we don't need visitors like this, no no! The chickens are fine, they are still making eggs, I'm still delivering them and we haven't seen the skunk since. But we are now ready for this skunk to be deceased and Jim has borrowed a gun & will be on the look out! He even suggested a bounty for it. Our neighbor actually suggested me taking on the task of shooting this animal, I call him crazy. I don't like nor do I tend to have anything to do with guns. So, I will leave this task to the Mr.

This last weekend, after a trip to the cities for the week to visit family & friends along with some shopping, CMW, myself and Jim all caught up on rest & I'd have to say, we took naps two days in a row, so nice! A somewhat rainy Saturday didn't stop us from going to town to support the runners of the Fargo Marathon & two church missionary families heading out this summer to their new ministry locations. We also went shopping for flowers! Sunday was another beautiful summer day & I wanted to make sure I had a little something to do outside besides just sit! CMW and I got three pots of flowers potted, planted Dalia's & Canna Lilies in the ground & watered. Jim was working in the garden some with tilling and putting up the fence. Now I am on to fixing up the wood chips, pulling weeds, and I'm ready for summer's sunshine & beauty to start blooming.

Our next major project in progress is painting our house! I'm the encourager in this project and we both can't wait to have it done! I'll keep you posted!

No comments: